At around 1am this morning, 19th May 2019, two fire appliances from Bridgwater and the Environmental Protection Unit from Taunton were sent to a report of a fire in Meadowlands Avenue, Bridgwater.
The fire had involved a recycling bin outside the property which had then spread to a gas meter. The bin and its contents were 100% damaged by the fire and the gas meter was 20% damaged by fire. The fire had been extinguished by the occupant of the property prior to the arrival of the fire crews but damage had been caused to an adjacent gas meter causing a small rupture. Wales and West were requested to attend.
A cordon was set up and 15 properties evacuated as a precaution. Wales and West isolated the gas supply to the property and gas levels were monitored. Occupants of the evacuated properties were allowed to return to their homes when it was deemed safe for them to do so. To deal with the incident fire crews used 2 breathing apparatus, 1 hose reel jet and a safety jet.
The fire is believed to have started accidentally.